The Brian McCrimmon Memorial Scholarship
The Brian McCrimmon Memorial Scholarship was established in 1976 in memory of Brian McCrimmon, an active and valued member of Theatre Kelowna Society (TKS). TKS is a not for profit amateur theatre group comprised entirely of volunteers and is dedicated to providing education and experience in all aspects of theatre arts. TKS strives to stage at least three quality productions a year. Anyone interested in becoming involved and is willing to work for the success of the group as a whole is welcome.
"To financially assist a deserving student in furthering their post-secondary education" Preference may be given to applicants studying Visual and Performing Arts; however, this is not mandatory and applications from students pursing post-secondary education will be considered.
How much is the scholarship?
The annual amount awarded is currently $500. This amount may be increased in the future at the discretion of the TKS Board of Directors. Although the total amount is usually awarded to one student, TKS reserves the right to split the amount evenly between two equally deserving students.
Who may apply?
Any resident of the central Okanagan who is/will be registered in a course of studies at a post-secondary institution in the current calendar year.
How does one apply?
An applicant must write a letter (no emails, phone calls, etc.) to the Brian McCrimmon Memorial Scholarship committee c/o Theatre Kelowna Society. The letter should clarify the following:
- Who they are with a brief educational history.
- The post-secondary institution they will be attending, when their courses begin and what they will be studying.
- What career they hope to have at the end of their studies.
- Any interest/participation in the field of Visual and Performing Arts.
- Why they should be considered for the scholarship. (This might include things like financial need, community involvement, special needs, etc.)
The Brian McCrimmon Memorial Scholarship is awarded annually. Applications will be accepted up until May 31st of that calendar year. Applications received after that date may be considered in the following year.
How is the recipient chosen?
The applications are reviewed by the Scholarship Committee who then make recommendations to the TKS Board of Directors. The board then makes the final decision.
- Applicants must be registered in a course of study at a post-secondary institution in the current calendar year.
- Preference may be given to students who:
- Pursue studies in the field of Visual and Performing Arts
- Demonstrate a keen interest/participation in the Visual and Performing Arts
- Are in financial need or have special needs.
- (These are only areas of consideration. They are not mandatory or meant to discourage applicants)
How is the scholarship paid out?
Once an applicant has been notified that they have been chosen to receive the scholarship, they are asked to submit proof of their registration in a post-secondary institution. The scholarship money is sent to the post-secondary institute in the name of the student to offset course expenses.
Scholarship Committee c/o Theatre Kelowna Society
421 Cawston Avenue, Kelowna, BC V1Y 6Z1